Skip to main content
Me too.

So I saw a post tonight where someone was mentioning how dumb they thought this “me too” thing was. Even now as I type I am trying to take some deep breathes….

I like that women are saying “me too”. I like that the Internet is flooded with “me too” and I really don’t care who is bothered by it.

1 in 5 women or girls are sexually assaulted all day every single day.

And the saddest part isn’t just the abuse it is the complete lack of care, concern and compassion from other women.

I saw a comment on the post I mentioned above that said “who hasn’t”.

Really?!?!?!

That’s your response to the very disturbing and very real statistics of sexual assault and abuse.

“Who hasn’t” implies that somehow you are stronger because you don’t need to report or talk about what happened to you or someone you love.

As women we need this movement. We need to be more vocal about what has happened and is happening and how emotionally damaging it is.

Harassment is not a joke. Women don’t need to accept that men are just going to say what they are going to say or do what they will do because they are men. Men need to know that we as women are done and we will not tolerate it anymore.

Abuse is real. Rape and assault are real. And the impact it has on a woman is too real. The healing process is long and hard and as women we have an opportunity to come together and lift one another and empower each other.

Speak!!!! Speak freely and speak up and speak often about what has happened. Talk about it. A LOT! And while you are healing also empower yourself. Learn how to defend yourself when attempts are made, not just physically but verbally. Learn the warning signs of a potential perpetrator.

I am a survivor. I was sexually abuse by my father and my uncle and for years and I put up with inexcusable behavior from men because I did not know I had a voice.


To you who are just finding your voice I say SPEAK UP!!! Share! Talk about it and surround yourself with those who will not only understand you but who will empower you.

GO.FIGHT.WIN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Grandma, and Dad,  Go away. I don't want either of you in my life. Neither of you had or have the courage to change. It is because of you that I even had to overcome a horrendous childhood. I don't like you. I don't want you in my life. And Grandma, I saw your message to my daughter and you are a liar. Leave my children alone.
In 2011 while Ray was deployed to Iraq I attended a Yellow Ribbon Event. It is an event put on for both the families of soldiers while they are deployed and for the families and their soldier when the soldier returns. The conference was held in Dallas at the Gaylord hotel. Upon arriving I was given a lanyard with a card identifying me as an attendee. In the first meeting we were told that there had been a threat made and that extra security was being provided. We were asked to always wear our lanyard and to alert security to any suspicious behaviors. During the lunch break I went up to my room and my keycard wouldn't work. I phoned the front desk and asked for assistance. I was told someone would be coming to my room with a new card. A woman and two men of large stature approached me as I sat in the hall with my 9 month old baby. The woman unemotionally and quite frankly asked if I could please stand up. "Um, yeah sure I can." I tried t...
If you know me, you know I love therapy and self help books. I love change. I love the challenge of change. So it will be no surprise that when my son was 9 and decided to take on lying and bullying I took him to therapy. The reason I love therapy is because they take what you say and turn it right back around to you for you to think about and to answer. It is called reflective listening. It forces you to critically think about yourself, your life and what you really want. Therapy is hard. Most people avoid therapy because it is hard. But aren't the hard things in life worth the work and the reward? We had only been in Utah for a little over a year so I was nervous about trying to find a good therapist sooner than later. Literally the first person we went to was a perfect fit. I'm not even going to take credit, it was the Lord. I approach therapy very seriously because I want to get the most out of it I can in the short amount of time we get, so I wrote down the behav...